Surya Namaskar, also known as sun salutation, is a gesture of paying respect to the sun. Based on a sequence of 12 gracefully linked asanas, practising Surya Namaskar helps in bringing your mind, body and soul together, apart from burning calories and keeping you fit as recommended by ayurveda. When performed in the morning, Surya Namaskar helps rejuvenate the body and accord it with the right amount of strength and energy required to keep going through the rigours of the day, without feeling tired. However, it can be performed both during sunrise & sunset. Performing Surya Namaskar at dusk, helps the body unwind and feel relaxed.
Here are some of the speed variations that can help you get maximum benefits of Surya Namaskar:
- Slow pace: This helps in keeping the body flexible
- Medium pace: Helps in keeping the muscles toned
- Fast pace: Helps lose weight and also doubles up as an outstanding cardiovascular workout
The various cyclic movements of Surya Namaskar offer many health benefits. They include:
- Ensuring better functioning of gastrointestinal system: Surya Namaskar helps smooth functioning of the digestive tract. The postures of Surya Namaskar help increase the blood flow resulting in better functioning of the intestines. The forward bend posture increases the abdomen space which aids in expelling trapped gas from the system.
- Weight loss: Performing Surya Namaskar on a daily basis, for at least 30 minutes, helps you shed extra calories and attain flat stomach. The adequate twisting, stretching and compressing of the muscles enables you to get a toned and fit body.
- Control & prevention of hair fall: Postures like parvatasna (the mountain pose) and padhastasna (the forward bending pose) helps in regular and proper circulation of blood to the scalp area. Thus, preventing the roots from becoming weak and fall.
- Benefits for women: Regular practice of Surya Namaskar is beneficial for women since it ensures healthy and timely menstrual cycle. Even pregnant women are advised to practice Surya Namaskar as it helps in easing childbirth.
- Preventing insomnia: Surya Namaskar enhances your sleeping patterns by relaxing your mind and giving you a sound sleep.
- Controlling blood sugar levels: Surya Namaskar can provide people suffering from diabetes with a number of health benefits. It helps in increasing blood supply to various parts of the body thus improving its ability of insulin administration. It also aids in keeping their weight under check and provide energy.
- Glowing skin: Performing Surya Namaskar on a daily basis aids in improving and regulating the circulation of blood, which helps in adding a natural glow to the face. As a result, your skin looks fresh, radiant and youthful.
- Correcting hormonal imbalance: Surya Namaskar harmonizes various endocrine glands which helps in removing any irregularities in the body.
- Improving the functioning of respiratory system: The inhalation and exhalation process keeps the lungs ventilated and blood oxygenated. These movements also help in exhaling the carbon dioxide and other toxic gases from the system.
- Toning of nerves & nervous system: Surya Namaskar helps in improving your memory and keeping your brain energised and alert through the day. It also helps in getting rid of any signs of anxiety, hence, making you feel calm and relaxed.